Sunday, February 26, 2017

I am at your service


I am at your service

I keep hearing a calling from different directions. Today during church the guest pastor got on a rant about taking care of our bodies, God’s Temple. I am at a point where I am in shape to the point where I am healthy. My blood test came back from the VA with everything okay. No pre-diabetes, my cholesterol and everything else is fine. My weight isn’t exactly where I want it to be but it’s getting there. It wasn’t that long ago that I had Dunlap Disease, my belly done lapped over my belt. I had gotten to the point where I couldn’t stand it anymore. So I started going to the Planet Fitness in Carrolton Texas, every day after work. This young guy would torture me every day working on different muscle groups. I could do one pull up. He would put me on a weight machine to assist me doing pull-ups. It was almost sadistic. Then I got to the point where I could do ten in a row. Every Friday I would do my Navy SEAL PT, pushups, crunches, flutter kicks and other assorted self-torture techniques ending up with eight count body builders. Then I left the Dallas area and came down to the Rio Grande Valley where I ran into Ray Huerta a boxing trainer who had three world champions managed by Angelo Dundee. I told him my background and he edified me to a couple of young boxers who he wasn’t working with. He told me that if they started showing commitment he would start working with them. I was excited just to have a chance. It was hot and after just three rounds of jumping rope, shadow boxing and hitting the heavy bag I thought I was going to pass out. But I kept it up every day and then I moved to Edinburg and I started working out at the Fight House Boxing gym and helping out with some of the kids. I now can go four rounds jumping rope, five rounds shadow boxing and four or five rounds on the heavy bag and I have even sparred a couple of times. With a guy 18 years younger than me. My jab is harder now than it has ever been. In fact it is my best punch.

I know that I am no longer a Navy SEAL or training for the Olympics or a world title and there are a lot of guys who are in better shape than me but I can still smoke a lot of guys who are a lot younger than me. I want to encourage other guys to get started doing a little something every day, stay consistent and keep it up. You have to eat the elephant one bite at a time and what ends up happening is your body stops resisting you and eventually begins to respond to your efforts.

I want to work with the young men, help them realize their potential. Get them in shape and increase their confidence and then help them understand math and algebra and introduce them to technologies that stimulate their interest, enticing them learn the mathematics and algebra. Teach them the importance of maintaining their bodies. I was going to hold a workout session for the young guys on Saturdays after the Men’s bible study but I might just make it an open event. I am at your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment