Thursday, September 21, 2017

Preparing for the transition

Preparing for the transition


Today the Fight House boxing gym was closed because the trainers are focusing on getting their pro fighters ready for their upcoming bouts. I don’t want to lose ground in my conditioning so I went on a six mile run. Tomorrow morning I will I will run three miles to the Edinburg Municipal Park and do my complete BUD/s workout. If nobody else shows up, it on takes me about 28 minutes and then I will run another three miles back home. If I get some participation it will take around 45 minutes.
Saturday I will be a functionary for the South Texas Toastmasters Humorous Speech Contest, 10:00 AM (But you better get there early, at least 15 minutes) at the Texas A&M Recruitment Office at 5277 North 23rd Street McAllen, TX 78504. There are going to be some very entertaining speeches I you can attend. Toastmasters is known as a speaker’s club but there is more to it than that. There is a leadership development process involved. It is amazing how it works. When there isn’t strong leadership, it never fails, attendance at meetings drops off and it becomes very hard to maintain the levels the clubs might be used to like distinguished club status. It is amazing how people start getting it together when their status is in jeopardy.
I am that way with my fitness and conditioning, this whole situation with The Fight House Boxing gym closing October 1st has me scrambling to adjust and figure out how to supplement the activity I was getting at the boxing gym. I enjoy boxing so much because I don’t have to think about the workout. I am focusing on mastering the technique. The workout is a byproduct of working on the skill.
In Toastmasters the leadership is a byproduct of effective communication. When the members start getting more confident in their presentations they start inviting their friends and coworkers to the meeting to hear they speak. Two things happen. Either they have the club member give a speech for their office or organization or they join too and start working on their public speaking skills.
The techniques utilized in the manual are applicable to a lot of practical applications, like sales. I was a Navy SEAL, when I was getting out of the Navy every time I wrote a resume it came out looking like the only job I was qualified for was something carrying a gun. I really didn’t want to do that anymore. Because of Toastmasters I was very comfortable presenting in front of people and I was able to transition into sales.

I am trying to figure out how I can utilize these public speaking and leadership skills to influence some Christian men to start working out with me and get an F3 workout group going in the Rio Grande Valley. Tomorrow morning I will be at the Edinburg Municipal Park, under the first pavilion wearing a black T-shirt with a white F3 on the front if you want to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment