Saturday, June 24, 2017

Creating Real Men and Fathers

Creating Real Men and Fathers

I have been on the receiving end of the same message coming from five difference sources, independently of each other. I mention to my wife that at a peer to peer counseling session about not having a good example of manhood and a parent. Then she asked me “What is your idea of a Man?” I deferred my answer until last night at the dinner table.  She asked me “Do you have the answer?” I was puzzled, thinking I had missed the question and she said, “What do you believe being a man is?” I had thought about it since she asked me earlier. I told her “Being a man means focusing on those who mean the most to us, our family, our children and our spouse and those we care about” Then she pulled up a video on YouTube with men giving their understanding of what it means to be a man. They went from the youngest to the oldest.
Some thought it was a copout of a cliché but a couple of the guys came to the same conclusion I have. Then she pulled up the video from a young man named Lecrae. He had it all together. He not only talked about the discipline to focus on doing the right thing and taking our focus off ourselves but on others but he added the part of the formula I had been missing and that was to leverage God and Jesus Christ to carry the load of leading those we care about towards him and on the right path.

This message is being pushed from organizations like Trail Life and F3. These ministries are exactly what is needed for boys and men to become what it takes to become a man in the likeness of God’s design. They use all the right sources to influence young men into becoming men with the right focus. Not selfish or immature reasons but developing confidence and establishing associations to reference to keep them on the right path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment