Saturday, September 2, 2017

Eating the Elephant one bite at a time


Eating the Elephant


                Last night my wife Janice Wright and I attended an event hosting John Scotland, we had such a good time, and we are going back tonight. It was a riot, especially when the two ladies came in late. We got home around midnight and we were up at 5:30 AM this morning. I went to the men’s bible study at Center Church with my work out matt, dressed to work out. We had a good lesson and then at 10:00 AM I rolled out my matt and got busy. I had no takers but Joel and Fernando promised to work out with next Saturday.

                I know what it is like getting back into shape. After Al Clark died I went to Planet Fitness in Carrolton Texas every day after work and this 22 year old kid would torture me. But I started seeing progress. Then I moved to Mercedes Texas and worked out doing calisthenics in the mornings and trained at Ray Huerta’s gym in the evenings. It was so hot I thought I was going to pass out but I started getting used to the heat. Then I moved to Edinburg and started working out at the Fight House Gym. That was almost a year ago.

                Now I am close to the conditioning I was in when I was 38 years old. I am better at a few things, my jab and creating angles. It is exciting that 16 years later I still got it. Now the gym is about to be closed but I have one more month before that happens and I am going to make the most out of it. I am going to increase my effort a little bit this next month.

                I am in classes again for the fall semester at STC and UTRGV. I was going to switch my major to Organizational leadership in applied sciences but if I do that I won’t qualify for the UTEACH program at UTRGV. I have to see the advisor to figure out my degree plan next week.

                Not going to the boxing gym every night might be a blessing, allowing me to focus more on my studies. I took Developmental Math this semester. I should have taken it before I jumped into college algebra. It is not too easy, I am actually doing some things I have never done before like finding the area of a cone and a cylinder. I have a better foundation at this point of understanding how to find the X intercept, use the Quadratic formula, how to find the apex of a parabola,  Synthetic Division, Determinant of a matrices, Logarithms, the compound interest formula and Logarithms.

                So when I am working out with these guys who might not be in the best shape, I am going to be gracious. Get them started slowly and not hurt them. I want to help them and bring them along progressively. Build their confidence, give them a feeling of accomplishment and increase their health.

Anything is possible with the right level of encouragement and enthusiasm.

                If I can learn college level mathematics, these guys can get in shape and be healthier. It is all eating the elephant one bite at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment