Sunday, September 10, 2017

All in God's Plan

All in God’s Plan


I have been working out at The Fight House Boxing Gym for a year now. I am 54 years old and I know I am not going to be fighting any more but I decided to work on things I wasn’t good at while I was competing. When I first started training for Roy Jones Sr. he had me throwing a straight jab. I would use it to line up my opponent to a corner and come behind it like a battering ram and take them to the corner and then let go of my hooks, uppercuts and do my inside fighting.
When My son Devin started training with Roy Jones Sr. he was taught how to throw a whipping jabs like Larry Holmes and Thomas Hearns were known for. I started working on this jab which I never did before a year ago, along with shooting to the side establishing an angle after my straight right hand and left hooks. Now a year later, I am amazed at how effective my jab is. It hits the heavy bag almost as hard as my straight right hand.
Now that I have perfected this technic, The Fight House Gym is closing its doors October 1st. I really don’t want to lose the conditioning I have achieved while training at The Fight House Gym but it seems that God has something in store for me. My confidence is at a high point right now, due to my physical conditioning and skill level I have obtained since my training at The Fight House Gym. Somehow I need to take this foundation I have established over the last year. I have my evening free so I have volunteered as a Trail Life Troop Leader at Center Church and I am trying to foster an F3 workout session on Saturdays at Center Church.
Another situation which would appear as a setback might turn out to be an opportunity. My UTeach class at UTRGV has been canceled for STC students. This opens up Wednesday noon time frame for HUB City Toastmasters and gives me time to market High SIerra Group to food service businesses in the Rio Grande Valley. My income from High Sierra is enough to absorb the loss of my stipend I would get for attending four classes a semester.

This opportunity opens the possibility to help my wife attain her dream of a residential facility for pregnant teenage foster girls. I am highly motivated to work towards this goal. The whole mastery of my newly developed boxing skills has taught me that consistency and persistence working on any goal, you will reach that higher and seemingly unattainable goals. This my be the most important skill set I will need as a Trail LIfe Troop leader and an F3 workout leader.  

No comments:

Post a Comment